Thursday, December 27, 2012

2012 was a good year overall


2012 has been a very good year for me personally. Andrea and I are doing well. Avery and Ethan had terrific years. Avery has become a great gymnast and she had her first gym meet this year and took home third place. I was very proud of her. Ethan became a soccer star and scored 8 goals in one game. Andrea became the Queen of Scramble and has beaten me 100 consecutive games. I'm always looking for tips.

Healthwise it has been a decent year. I completed P90X and lost about 15 pounds. I've had some minor issues but nothing overwhelming. I'm very thankful to be on this earth. Andrea and the kids are doing pretty well healthwise. Andrea, in fact, looks amazing. She's been working out with a personal trainer. Magic had a tough year with two torn ACL's but she is finally 100% after a few months of rehab.

As far as achievements, I was proud to join the Terry College (The business school at UGA) and proud to be a 40 under 40 honoree at UGA. I was also proud to throw out a first pitch at a Braves game. My softball team won their second ever competitive league championship this fall. Wish for Wendy broke the record for money raised with over $330K so I know my sister would be proud of the money we've raised to benefit the CF Foundation. I also hit three years of sobriety.

Most of all, I was proud to be Andrea's husband and Ethan and Avery's dad. I'm fortunate to spend time with them and I love seeing the kids grow up and form their own personalities. Avery is becoming an avid reader and as mentioned earlier a terrific gymnast. She also talks to me like she is an adult and I am the child. It's kind of scary. Ethan is not only a great soccer player but also a class clown at home. I'm going to try out his skills at baseball this spring.

2012 was a tough year dealing with the Sneiderman case. I still stand behind Andrea and know she will be exonerated one day. It's difficult not being able to speak to her as I am a potential witness and am on the list of people who cannot talk to her. Please don't assume my silence right now means that I am any less behind her. I feel like the best PR for her will be after the case is over. I am sad that the family is at odds due to one man's terrible act. I'm mostly sorry that Rusty isn't here and that his kids have had to deal with so much.

In 2012, I sold many copies of "The Drive at 35" and raised more money for the Wish for Wendy Foundation. None of the proceeds benefitted me personally. I was also happy to make many speeches including trips to Missouri, Virginia and Ireland where we again raised money to benefit the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. I also was honored to speak in front of 1,200 students at The Marist School in Atlanta.

In January of 2012, I was excited that Kalydeco was approved by the FDA. It's a big step in treating CF patients. While this drug only helps 4% of the CF population, other drugs will soon be in the pipeline and a cure is near. I'm also proud to still be a board member of the CF Foundation who helps fund drugs like Kalydeco.

My sports teams had up and down years this year. The Falcons lost to the Giants in the wild card round but are now 13-2 and the number one seed in the NFC. Hopefully January will bring a Super Bowl to Atlanta. The Braves won one of the two wildcard spots only to lose the wildcard game. The Hawks lost in the first round against the Celtics. Basically my teams were 0-3 in playoff games (0-4 if you count UGA's tough loss to Alabama in the SEC Championship). I was sad to see Chipper Jones and Andy Roddick retire this year - 2 of my favorite athletes.

In closing, I hope 2013 is a wonderful year for each of you. May there be many celebrations. May each of you forgive yourselves for the mistakes you make and work on improving. Life isn't about perfection. In fact, it's about imperfection. If we were all perfect, this would be a boring place.

Have a great 2013!

Andy









No comments:

Post a Comment