Friday, August 13, 2010

Our vacation and how I feel


I sit here in our basement prepared to write my next entry. I'm not looking forward to doing my therapy. I guess I'm just sick of having to do 10 things in the morning and 10 things at night every day not including my workouts, job, Wish for Wendy, the book and other things I'm involved in. Tonight I have to put on my foot cream for some dead skin I have, take my Nexium, do my nose drip, do my saline solution, do my nose spray antibiotic, do 2 puffs on my inhaler, do my hypertonic saline, do my pulmozyme, do my vest and then head to bed. That's exhausting just to think about. The whole process takes about an hour meaning I won't get to bed till about midnight.

We got back from our vacation today. We had a great time but it was exhausting too as I'm sure everyone experiences the exhaustion when taking kids on vacation. We got some great pictures of the kids at the beach. I should say Andrea got some great pictures as she took 90% of them. She took some great ones of the kids. My high school friend, Melissa, who lives in Charleston and is a professional photographer, got some great shots of us on the beach between Sullivan's Island and Wild Dunes. It was great seeing her after about 20 years since the last time we saw each other. She looked terrific and was great with the kids.

It was great seeing my cousins Andrea, Jonathan and Laura this weekend as well as my Aunt Anita and Avery and Ethan's first cousins Jeremy and Gabriella. We were sorry that Nick, Stella and Daisy were under the weather. It was so nice of the Zuckers to have a cake for Ethan. He loved it. We had so much fun with them. We wish we could see them more. I included a picture from the evening on the blog. Thanks Anita also for letting us use your beautiful beach house.

Thursday night we took the kids to a hibachi steak house for dinner. The kids had fun and Ethan got one more birthday celebration there as it was his actual birthday. Happy 2nd Birthday, Ethan!!!

I found out on Friday that the JCC needed more soccer coaches so the commissioner asked if I would do it. I accepted though my soccer background is as storied as Milli Vanilli's singing career. At least I have Avery in my group and I also found out that my fraternity brother Greg's son is also in the group. I'm sure it will be fun as long as I don't have to show off my skills. I might call Ross for some input as he was the soccer star in our household.

My softball team was eliminated in the second round of the playoffs while I was out. I'm going to miss Bethany and Lou who are leaving after this season. They had been on the team for more than 2 years.

I love my kids but sometimes Ethan gets a little too needy for me. I feel like Spiderman when I say that Ethan latching on to me is a blessing and a curse. There are moments that I love it but part of me needs a break too. I got to have some father-daughter time last night as Avery and I went to find frogs near the pool and I even let her use the elevator by herself. She was thrilled. This morning she and I saw a guy catched a triangle bull shark off the beach. He said that they are easy to find there. I don't know if that made me feel really good about taking my kids back into the water. It was cool though to see the one-foot shark as the fisherman and his son threw him back in. Avery, Ethan, Andrea and I also played in the waves and flew Avery and Ethan's first kite. I have to be honest that I don't know that I've ever flown a kite before so it was my first time too.

One thing I thought about was when the kids and Andrea went to the beach first so I could finish my therapy. It reminded me of being younger and my cousins Barrett or Jonathan getting to go to the beach while my dad or mom administered my therapy. I always felt like I was missing out then. It doesn't really bother me now but it brought back those memories of feeling different. Feeling different as an adult isn't nearly as difficult as when you're a kid.

My parents came back into town tonight. I'm really excited to see them as well as Andrea's mom and stepdad and Andrea's father and girlfriend who are all going to be in town. My parents have been doing a little bit of travel lately and my dad has been having some minor health issues but I'm glad to hear that he's doing much better. He doesn't have anything life-threatening but he is taking the bull by the horns and getting treatment to get himself back to 100%. I'm proud of him and I'm proud of my mom for being so selfless throughout the process. That should not come to anyone's surprise for anyone who knows my mom.

My sister's store Raw Denim opens up in a couple of months. She'll be out in Buckhead selling high-end western wear/jeans. Check out her store and take a look at her Facebook site when you get a chance. Just look under "Raw Denim."

Wish for Wendy looks to easily have 16 teams as checks are coming in pretty quickly. I'm pretty excited about that.

I was happy to see the Braves pull out a tough win against the Dodgers tonight 1-0. Another great pitching performance from Tim Hudson.

That's about it for me. I'm exhausted and have about 30 more minutes left of my treatments. Everyone, have a good night and stay strong.

Best Wishes,

Andy

No comments:

Post a Comment