Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Game 7 of the NLCS in 1992: the sad truth


Everyone remembers where they were when Sid Bream scored the Game Winning Run of Game 7 of the 1992 NLCS that propelled the Braves to the World Series. I had a friend of mine tell me the story of where he was and the events that transpired while watching it. No one has ever asked me to recall that memory and describe where I was. I’m happy about that.

The night that Francisco Cabrera lined a single between short and third was the single greatest moment in Braves history and one of their biggest fans was nowhere to be found. I was in my room by myself. The TV was muted and I was sick and depressed. That was during the time where I would not leave my room and I wanted to kill myself. I watched as the winning run scored and then I shut off the TV only to hear people in my fraternity house screaming. Instead of joining them, I put my head back on my couch and cried. I knew I’d missed a huge moment that people would be talking about for years. I knew I wouldn’t be able to talk about it in the same light. In fact, this is the first time I’m really discussing it.

I later bought a picture of the Sid Bream run-scoring play but I didn’t buy it to remember the night the Braves went to the World Series. I bought it as a reminder of how awful I felt then. Unfortunately it hasn’t stopped me from coping in a horrible way or from getting more depressed but still it serves as a reminder of how bad things can get if you don’t take control of your life.

Thanks for letting me share. Have a great day.

Andy

No comments:

Post a Comment