Friday, February 3, 2012

My health



Hey Everyone,

I hope that you're well. I've been working hard of late to get my health back where it needs to be. I've been doing more treatments, going in a little later to work and working on a new exercise program.

First off, I've been taking antibiotics twice a day, I've been doing my chest therapy 10 minutes longer at night. I've also been on TOBI so that adds another 40 minutes both in the morning and at night. It's funny. I was thinking about this the other day. While Ethan does not have CF, he does almost everything a person with CF does. He sits with me the whole time while I do my therapy and work out (Of course we play X-Box together so that helps). He brings me my pill bottle (child-lock but he never tries to open it anyway as he understands it's daddy's meds). He really helps me because I never feel that lonely feeling anymore in the mornings when I do my treatments.

I also started a new workout routine and am sixteen days in (I've attached a picture of my increased muscle mass). I'm not one to brag about anything but I am proud of the fact that I can attain this kind of strength especially when the image of someone with CF is generally skinny. Heck, I had arms like toothpicks in college. I am now a member of Beach Body or as you may know it, P90X. I watch the videos and work out with Tony, the instructor on TV. It's tough but I can already see a difference. When I got back from my cruise at the end of December, I was up to 188 pounds. This morning, I weighed myself and I weigh 179 pounds. I've changed my diet to going from 2,000 calories a day to 1,500. I'm trying to avoid protein bars during the day and I'm also drinking whey protein once or twice a day. I'm no longer stuffed up. I'm still running, biking and swimming at the gym. I've also added situps to the mix. I'm definitely faster than I've been in a long time. I'm hoping my increased speed will be an asset when softball season begins in March.

My health is something that is not easy to keep strong BUT it's worth it. There was a big breakthrough this week on the drug Kalydeco which will help some CF patients. There are more drugs that are coming out and some will help me. I can't afford to be sick and not allow myself to take advantage of these breakthroughs.

I hope everyone else is doing well.

Andy

No comments:

Post a Comment