Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Dr. Wolfenden - I will miss you!


Dr. Wolfenden wasn't just a doctor. She wasn't just my doctor. She was the founding director behind the CF adult care center. She helped me when I got sick and when I got down. We talked about being down and trying to fight back. Dr. Wolfenden, my doctor, lost her battle to breast cancer today. I wasn't supposed to die before my doctor. She was an amazing person and very caring. She was great at joking around and without her, I'm probably much sicker. I miss her already. She was an amazing person. Here is the article in the AJC about her.

http://www.ajc.com/news/dr-linda-lucetta-lindy-578715.html

I remember she wouldn't be friends with me on Facebook because she said she didn't want her other patients to feel like they should be friends too. She was very ethical. I remember her taking my picture and making her first adult center brochure with my picture on there. She was so motivated and such a loving doctor. Her patients will truly miss her. I will miss her. I already do. The irony is that I e-mailed her this morning because we hadn't talked in a couple of months. I had a strange feeling that something was wrong and that's why I contacted her. Maybe at that moment she was contacting me from above.

I don't know how this will affect my depression but I'll be calling friends to check in. That's what tends to help me. Why do horrible things happen to such good people? She was so great to all of us CF patients. Sadly I'm finding all of her old e-mails now and saving them so I never lose her. I'm sad that her kids will grow up without a mom and I'm sad for her husband who lost an amazing wife.

I am dedicating my book to her because she helped patients for the right reasons - she loved people and truly wanted to help them. I just found out the funeral is at 2pm today so I won't be able to make it. But at 2pm, I will think of my doctor, my motivator and my friend. Dr. Wolfenden, you were there for me when I needed someone. I will continue to raise money for CF because of people like yourself. Thank you for your dedication. You were inspiring to your patients.

I will be naming something after her at Wish for Wendy if her family approves. She deserves the notoriety although I know that she wouldn't have wanted or needed it. Please pray for her family and pray that there will be more people/doctors like her someday because to this day I have not met one.

Best Wishes,

Andy (Heartbroken)

2 comments:

  1. Andy,

    That was a nice tribute. I'm very sorry to hear about your friend.

    Best,

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully written Andy. I attend the funeral service and it was beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete