Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Dieting and another skeleton revealed


Hello Friends,

I am sitting here after another delicious 300 calorie Lean Cuisine meal. I am stuffed. Who am I kidding? This stuff tastes like the kind of food we used to get on airplanes. All that’s missing is the plastic fork and a toilette for my hands. I’ve been on this diet for a week now and I’ve lost about 4 pounds and I’m starting to lose my mind. I need a smoothie!!! My goal is to lose 11 pounds in 30 days. I got way above my “playing weight” which is kind of shocking since I have cystic fibrosis. Most of us are relatively thin. I was too for a long time. I’m including a picture of me as a skinny little kid so you can have an idea.

I went for an outdoor run today. It was a balmy 95 degrees. I was drenched after only running about a half mile. Still it was a good break from work. One of the things I've learned through my counselors is that taking a break from work for 10 to 15 minutes every now and then is very healthy.

This weekend was awesome. We went to Rusty and Andrea’s lake house and had a blast. I got to water ski for the first time. Well, I got to get in ready position for the first time. I fell on my face twice. Andrea, of course, did it the first time and did great. I can’t seem to beat her at anything…except maybe ping pong or naming random actors from 80’s movies. Ok, she wins the latter too. I was really proud of her performance at Lake Oconee.

I’m looking forward to a double-date this Saturday with Ross and Summer. That should be a lot of fun. I think we’ve all but secured the plans but now we’re looking for a new babysitter as our sitter had something come up.

I try to reveal a skeleton with each blog but today I'll make it humorous as I know most have been a bit intense. I am going to reveal my favorite chick flick of all time. In fact, here is my top 5.

5. Love Actually
4. Just Friends
3. Along came Polly
2. Titanic
1. A League of Their Own

I'll be sure to throw my man card away now.

Ethan now says "Ethan Cole" and it's very cute although he's still a bit hooked on daddy. Avery is not as hooked. I asked her if I could put her to bed the other night and she said "No, I want mommy. Tomorrow you can do it." It's as if she's a fancy restaurant and I have to make reservations in advance.

Dad's walking better now. He's had to go through a lot but he's slowly on the mend.

Emily got back from Israel. She had a blast. I saw her the other night at our Wish for Wendy meeting. She looks terrific.

Mom is doing pretty well. I can tell she's tired. I know she tries to do everything for everyone but hardly ever does anything for herself. I worry about her. I admire her in many ways but I don't think that selfless strategy is a healthy way to live your life.

I'm having a few coughing spasms tonight. I'm ok though. I think it's probably because I'm doing my two hour therapy right now. I'm also slowly losing my voice from the Tobi and Pulmozyme I'm inhaling. This is probably a relief to the people who work with me.

Well, that's it. I hope everyone is healthy and if you're sick, I hope you feel better very soon. Thanks for listening and giving feedback.

Best Wishes,

Andy

1 comment:

  1. Andy, I love what you are doing! There were many times in my life that I wish I had had a "blog" to help with expressing all those many emotions and experiences that I was going through. I can sense what a wonderful survivor you are. You are so honest in your feelings. I hope your mom will do something for herself, but I know that her only real concern right now is for you, your dad and your family. That's what being a mom is about. But I can assure you, that nothing anyone says to her will change that. She is as exemplary a mother as I have ever known! You keep up the living of life and keep us informed. I love being a part of your courageous life!

    ReplyDelete