Monday, January 21, 2013

Sherman returns in 2012

People thought nothing could be worse than what Sherman did to Atlanta hundreds of years ago but in the last 6 months our sports teams have suffered defeats that made it feel like Sherman has returned to burn this city down again.

In June, the Hawks were down 3 games to 2 and were beating the Celtics late in Boston that would have forced a Game 7 in Atlanta. There was a terrible call that went against the Hawks and then with a few seconds left, Al Horford missed a free throw. Hawks lost. Then in October, the Braves were up 2-0 in the wildcard game when one of the best defensive teams in the NL made error after error and then got one of the worst calls in playoff history when an "infield fly" ruined a rally when it was obvious it was not an infield fly. The Braves lost. In December, in the Georgia Dome, the Bulldogs were a few plays from knocking off Alabama and then moving on to beat (not meet) Notre Dame. Yet instead a ball was tipped, went right to our wide receiver who caught it a few yards from the end zone and the time ran out. Georgia lost. Then a few hours ago, the Falcons were up 17-0 and fell behind 28-24 and were driving with under 2 minutes left. An apparent pass interference was not called and the Falcons fell a few yards short ONCE AGAIN in the Georgia Dome.

Maybe I should just be happy that my teams were all in contention this year. Maybe I should be happy that each team came so close to an elusive title. As I watched my kids play after the game, I realized what a wonder life I have. I realized how little sports matters. I realized how silly I'm being for writing a blog about sports. I have cystic fibrosis and I'm excelling. That's the good thing. And you know what, that's all a lie! I didn't think about anything but my stupid teams ruining my night yet again. When will it be my turn (sorry to be selfish - I'm referring to all Atlanta and/or Georgia fans).

For the next 24 to 48 hours, I can't watch sports. It will absolutely kill me. I will just go to sleep again with those famous last words "Maybe next year."

It can't be worse than the last 6 months...can it?

Andy

No comments:

Post a Comment