Wednesday, August 22, 2012
My top 50 movies of all time plus others
I think we all like to talk about what our favorite movies are so I decided to create a list of my top 50 movies of all time. I'm sure I'll leave a few out so feel free to mention them. Before I display this list, I still have yet to see the Godfather series so that is on my list to see. Enjoy! I also promised to put my friend Will's son, Brody and my son Ethan on the blog after our lake trip the other day so here we go (Brody is on top). Thanks Will for a great time!
And now without further ado, here is my list of top 50 movies:
50. The Howling - my first horror movie and why I'm infatuated with werewolf movies other than Twilight.
49. Poltergeist - I still run away from the light.
48. The Hangover - I thought the 2nd one was ok but the first one was hilarious. It put Zach Galifianakis on the map. Just don't put his last name on a spelling bee.
47. Swingers - this one is never on any lists it seems but I loved this movie. My close friend Ross and I watched this over and over. Vince Vaughn was amazing. This is a typical guy movie.
46. Fast Times at Ridgemont High - I was going through puberty and Phoebe Cates. That's all I have to say.
45. Tootsie - Dustin Hoffman was great. This was the best drag movie ever including "To Wong Foo."
44. When Harry Met Sally - this looked so boring in the previews but I fell in love with Meg Ryan after this.
43. E.T. The Extra Terrestrial - Steven Spielberg is on my list several times. I'd love to be his accountant. Granted I'm not an accountant.
42. The Karate Kid (the original) - my friend Ross will laugh because this used to be number one on my list but apparently I'm actually looking for a little bit more from my movies now. I still loved the story and can quote every line. Still when my son is being bad, I say "No mercy!"
41. Sleepers - This was a great story of kids getting revenge against people who hurt them when they got older. As a kid, there were people in my life who hurt me and I was able to identify with the characters.
40. Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory - Every time I watch this movie I get hungry. Gene Wilder was terrific.
39. Hoosiers - If you don't get emotional during this classic, there is something wrong. This was the movie that made me want to be a coach.
38. Good Will Hunting - I love the story and the friendships in the movie. I'm also a numbers guy so the math problems made it fun to watch.
37. Raiders of the Lost Ark - I was afraid of snakes when I saw this movie. Now I'm even more afraid. Loved the movie though.
36. The Princess Bride - Just a cute story.
35. The Usual Suspects - the movie was okay but the end was spectacular!!!
34. Jurassic Park - It was just cool to imagine a park with dinosaurs everywhere and the glass of water scene was so suspenseful. This is the best dinosaur movie ever, yes even better than "Land of the Lost."
33. Old School - this was my introduction to Will Ferrell. He was great but still Vince Vaughn made this movie.
32. Rainman - Tom Cruise was good. Dustin Hoffman was off the charts. One of the best acting performances ever.
31. Halloween (the original) - John Carpenter's music is the best theme music (maybe other than Jaws) that I've ever heard.
30. Rob Zombie's Halloween - There aren't many remakes I love but this is one of them. The story behind Michael Myers is terrific.
29. The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises - 2 terrific movies. RIP Heath Ledger.
28. National Lampoon's Vacation - Chevy Chase has never been funnier. I could quote this movie all day long.
27. Rocky - I still listen to Eye of the Tiger every chance I get.
26. Schindler's List - A very sad movie but extremely well done. Obviously being Jewish, this movie had a big effect on me. It took me a long time to see it because I knew it would be tough.
25. Batman Begins - This was so much better than Tim Burton's version it's not even funny.
24. Casino - The girl I went out with when I saw this movie ran out during the last Joe Pesci scene. That's when I knew I was watching a classic...and that she and I were not going to make it.
23. Airplane! - Another movie I could quote all day. Striker! Striker! Striker!
22. Stand By Me - This was a great movie for someone who cherished his friends growing up.
21. American History X - I love the change in the main character. Ed Norton is awesome!
20. The Silence of the Lambs - I just love the fact that she asks for Mrs. Lipman when she gets to his house at the end. I was so glad my mom didn't answer.
19. The Social Network - I loved the story behind Facebook. This was the last movie I saw with my friend Rusty so it will always have sentimental meaning.
18. Taken - Liam Neeson was the man in this movie and I never thought I could say that. Yes, even better than his role in Nell.
17. Love Actually - I'm embarrassed to say that this was a great movie. Some really great storylines.
16. The Wizard of Oz - This was my favorite movie as a kid though the witch scared me to death.
15. Superman - He was my favorite superhero growing up. Every time I was really sick and fighting my CF, I wanted to watch this movie.
14. Titanic - I actually cried in this movie. Now I know where I left my man card. Ross, no laughing.
13. Forrest Gump - It was a great story and Tom Hanks was awesome.
12. Back to the Future - Great idea for a movie. I still reference the Delorean from time to time.
11. Terms of Endearment - see my comment on Titanic.
10. The Shining - got my man card back. Jack Nicholson was amazing.
9. Office Space - this is a cult film. If you've ever worked in an office, this is the movie for you.
8. The Empire Strikes Back - this was the only one of the 6 that makes my list. I loved the original and Return of the Jedi too but nothing was better than this one for me especially since I figured out the relationship between Luke and Darth Vader. I won't ruin it but it was a holiday June 17th this year.
7. The Natural - The final scenes and the music are some of my favorite moments in a theater.
6. Top Gun - Tom Cruise made the list again (Rainman too). He was awesome. I think this is where Katie Holmes fell in love with him. I think she was 8 at the time.
5. Saving Private Ryan - The first 20 minutes made me feel like I was at war. This is also where I learned you could make movies into adult movie titles. "Saving Ryan's Priv...."...never mind. My mom reads this.
4. Goodfellas - this was a classic mafia movie. I loved Liotta and especially Pesci.
3. Philadelphia - A very tough movie to watch but Tom Hanks was terrific!
2. Shawshank Redemption - I loved the revenge factor in this movie. Tim Robbins was awesome.
1. Jaws - Best fish movie ever! Would have been the best mammal movie ever if sharks were mammals! Why did they have to do Jaws The Revenge though. Ugh!
Revenge of the Nerds
A League of their Own
Coming to America
Planes, Trains and Automobiles
The Naked Gun
Disney's The Rookie
Bend It Like Beckham
Return of the Jedi
Escape from Alcatraz
Star Wars IV
My Bar Mitzvah video - very underrated - I was a heck of a dancer.