Monday, August 13, 2012

A busy Lipman weekend




It was an interesting few days in the Lipman household. First off, we had an ACL tear. I know your first thought is it had to be me or Andrea since we are such incredible athletes (insert sarcasm here at least for my athletic ability). Nope! Magic somehow tore her ACL. We found ourselves at the Emergency Clinic Saturday night which will never be confused for the Ritz Carlton. Poor Magic! We are having to carry her up and down the stairs and outside so she can go to the potty. We took her outside about 4 times last night and she still had an accident thanks to the medication. We won't know for a week or two if she'll need surgery but it's likely. We're hoping that she gets better soon.

Ethan, on the other hand, turned 4 this weekend. I can't believe that my little boy is 4 years old. It's hard to believe that 4 years ago we were told he was having seizures and a brain infarct and his odds of having a normal life were slim. Yet on his 4th birthday, Ethan had a gymnastics party and is tumbling, jumping and flipping just like everyone else. It's incredible how great he looks. Every time I talk about this, I get very teary and grateful that Andrea got him in the stem cell program at Duke. I don't think he'd be the same boy without it.

Speaking of yesterday, that was also mine and Andrea's 12 year dating anniversary. Hard to believe that we've been together for 4,384 days now or 105,216 hours for those of you who prefer that measuring stick. I can't believe we have almost been married for 10 years. Andrea, I love you and I told you we'd beat the Vegas odds of 100,000 hours.

Avery turns 6.5 on Friday. Yes, I let the kids have half birthdays the same week the other kid has a birthday so they don't feel left out. Avery started first grade today. It's pretty hard to believe that she's in grade school. Last year, it was Andrea who got teary on the ride to school for Avery's first day of kindergarten. Today it was my turn. I'm so proud of her and I love her personality. She's such a sweet girl but sadly for Andrea and Ethan, she has daddy's humor. Actually so does Ethan. I know. I know. Poor Andrea!

Andrea and I are doing okay. It's obviously difficult dealing with everything going on with our friend Andrea. Regardless of which side you take (and I realize everyone is entitled to an opinion), you have to understand that it's very difficult when you have a friend in trouble and you feel helpless in the situation. Now add the fact that she has two beautiful children who are having to go through this. I hurt for them so much.

Now on a lighter note, the Braves are looking great lately despite last night's loss. The pitching has been tremendous. The bats are getting a bit better. The bench is greatly improved with the addition of Reed Johnson. I still think Ben Sheets will wear down by season's end but I think Kris Medlen is our insurance policy as a starter.

I was excited to see the USA win the medal competition but I must admit the thrill of the "Dream Team" is over for me. I would rather see the national championship NCAA team play in the Olympics and all of the players that are not American on that team could be replaced by college players who are eligible. I love that the guys love playing for their country but there's no fun in destroying other teams anymore. Here are my top 5 moments from this year's Olympics:

5. Gabby Douglas winning gold.
4. Michael Phelps breaking the medal record.
3. The Blade Runner showing everyone that anything is possible.
2. Andy Murray winning the Gold Medal in front of his home country.
1. Hearing the name Destinee Hooker repeated 125 times during the Olympics.

I have my next doctor's appointment next Friday but until then I have a lot going on. This week I have 2 meetings for the Terry College Board that I need to attend plus I have softball tonight and I'm excited to finally meet Em's new dog. I found out that I get to go on the field as a 40 under 40 recipient at UGA. That's pretty cool. That'll be during the Georgia-Vandy game this season. I also have a speech at Marist next month and I also have speeches in Carrolton, Georgia, with the folks at LinkedIn and I'm excited to announce that I will be signing books at the next Marcus Jewish Community Center Book Fest. I'm also speaking at Limmud in Clayton, Georgia. The schedule is quite full.

I hope that everyone is doing well.

Andy



No comments:

Post a Comment