Friday, September 10, 2010

My doctor's appointment


Here's what happened at Emory today. I found out the previous night that I had to fast from midnight till about one o'clock p.m. today. I arrived at the lab at 10 a.m. As I was walking in, I helped a guy in the elevator to move his cart in and out on the next floor. He rewarded me with the last apple juice he had. It was really generous, but I wasn't allowed to drink so I paid it back a few minutes later when I arrived at the lab. An older gentleman was really thirsty so I gave him the apple juice and he was very appreciative. I talked to a few people today. I met an older lady who was a huge Georgia fan. She had to be in her 80's. I then met a woman going through a kidney transplant.

When I arrived at the lab, I had to give a urine sample (no, I did not ask Roger Clemens to take it for me) and then I had to give blood, more blood...and more blood! I had 13 vials of blood taken. Remember I'm still fasting at this point and then have to go another two hours before I have to come back and get another vial taken before I can finally eat. It's called the glucose test to see if I have CF-related diabetes. I had to drink a sugary beverage that tastes like a Mountain Dew that had been flat for weeks. I had to drink it in a five minute time span. The goal of the test was to see how my body broke down sugars. If the goal had been to be nauseas and light-headed, then it was certain that it was a success.

I went up for my PFT's around 10:45 and Dr. Sueblinvong was very pleased. I scored four percent higher than last time. She was bragging to the other doctors. I was really happy with the news. Next I worked on a new diet plan with Jessica, my dietician at the clinic. I have ballooned to 197 pounds. I am going for 185 pounds which means I'm going to be cutting out sodas and gummy bears, which is my sugary vice. I won't be seeing Dr. Sueblinvong for another three months which is the equivalent to several years for a CF patient.

I got the test results back this evening and I do not have CF related diabetes so I was glad to hear the news.

We took the kids to the Braves game tonight and tomorrow I'm planning on resting after a long day.

Thanks everyone for keeping me in your thoughts. You are in mine.

Have a great weekend and I am including a picture of my sister and Andrea from the Emmy's. Don't they look amazing!

Talk to you soon,

Andy

No comments:

Post a Comment