Thursday, June 19, 2014

An update on my health

As I sit here on a warm day in mid-June, I have a lot to be thankful for. I have been working my tail off the last few months to get my health back to where it needs to be. I think I've done a good job. My PFT (Pulmonary Function Test)numbers have gone from the high 60's to as high as 80 on a recent PFT at home. I did a PFT at home yesterday and my score was 78. My weight has gone from the mid-160's to around 175. I'm now doing my treatments three times a day as opposed to two. I'm also doing a device called the Acapella three times a day as a way to get rid of mucous. I'm also in the midst of ordering a new vest which will be much lighter and easier to transport. I have been working on eating better which has included more fruit and less M&M's. I have to thank my wife for all the mangos and grapes. I continue to work out 7 days a week which includes working out twice a day some days. I continue to go to a trainer twice a week.

What's my motivation to get better? It's simple. I don't just want to be at my kids' high school and college graduations. I still want to be running the Peachtree Road Race at that point. Speaking of the Peachtree, there are only 15 days till the big race. This will be my 18th consecutive year running this 6.2 mile run.

I was thinking about compliance the other day and realized that I've done my therapy virtually everyday for the last 20 years (since I graduated from college). That's 7,300 days. I put Cal Ripken to shame.

Work is good. When I came to DiversiTech in 1997, we had never had sales of $1 million in a day. Earlier this month, we broke $2 million and have averaged more than $1 million in sales each day this month. We went from a small company in Lithonia, Georgia to a run of over 5 years in the Atlanta Business Chronicle's Top 100 Private Companies in Atlanta. I'm proud to say I played a role in that.

The kids are doing great. Avery has advanced another level in gymnastics and is at gymnastics camp in Tennessee. The overnight camp thing is a bit difficult for me. While many of my friends are going to camp reunions or talking about camp memories, I sadly don't have any. I couldn't go to overnight camp due to my cystic fibrosis. It's one of my biggest regrets. While I'm thrilled that Avery gets to take part in such a wonderful tradition, I wish I'd had those same memories that we could share.



I really miss her!

Ethan has become a sports nut. He loves soccer, baseball, football, basketball, tennis, swimming and I'm sure I've skipped some. I caught the kid watching the WNBA the other day. I think we have the next Bob Costas in our house.



The "E" in Ethan stands for ESPN.

Andrea and I are doing well. We are thrilled with the new house. We also have a new addition...no, not that kind of new addition. Buddy the puppy joined us a few weeks ago. We rescued him from an organization whose founder's husband plays at Wish for Wendy. Small world.



He's our Buddy now!


We just started meeting on Wish for Wendy and I know it's going to be another successful year. I can't wait.

Oh and for those who loved "I Need a Nebulizer," let's just say I may have another idea up my sleeve but not for a while.

I hope that everyone is happy and healthy.

Live your dreams and love your life!

Andy


No comments:

Post a Comment